Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Heating

          So, as I sit here freezing, as usual, I want to know why the heating is always on the outside walls of the building.  It would seem so much more energy efficient, and warmer, if the heating was located along the inside walls instead.  We had a wood stove in my childhood, located in the middle of the house, and it sure as heck did a better job heating the place than the baseboard type heaters we have here in the apartment.  Yes, wood stoves do run hotter than the heaters usually do, but I'm not too sure it would have worked quite so well if it was tucked away along an outside wall somewhere.  I dunno, it just would seem that more heat would stay within the building if the heaters were located on an inside wall, rather than simply being soaked out the outside wall.
          Pertinent info on how wussy I am:  thermometer controlling heat says 73 degrees, I'm freezing, and feel a draft.  Yeah, like I said, pitiful.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so here it is: the heating is on the outside walls, because the heat loss is at the outside walls. Heating at the perimeter heats the whole house; heating at inside walls would not warm the perimeter well.

    I suggest, however, that the real issue is the method of heating. I grew up in a very old house with a very large coal furnace which had no blower. Heating was by convection, and in fact, the registers near the outside walls, now that I reflect, were cold air returns. But I digress. Because there was no blower, there were no drafts. The heat registers on the floor would get too hot for bare skin, and even sometimes for thick socks. But the house was always very comfortably warm.

    On the other hand, standing or sitting near a window (long before double panes) was a chilling experience. And the majority of the cold air returns were located right below the windows. That may be one reason the house felt warm: the coldest air was rapidly returned to the furnace to be heated.

    At any event, in any house with a blower, I always feel a draft, and am never as warm and cozy as in the house in which I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. Meyer, that does make sense. Our apartment is on the old side, and even with storm windows on the outside, and plastic covering the inside, I still feel drafts. My husband does not notice them so much, but I feel them almost all the time. The heating is the electric baseboard type, which I am personally not a fan of, due to our experience. :)

      Delete