2015 Resolutions

     I'm not one to usually make New Year's resolutions, but this year my deciding that things need to be worked on happened to coincide with the ending of the year. For accountability and because this is one of the easiest ways to keep them where I can find them, I'm sharing them with you. In no particular order, except for the first one. 

1. Not Die - During our semester in Rome, I decided to come up with a "Things Not To Do" list, and the first and most important one of those was Not Die. I think it is good to have at least one resolution at which there is practically no chance of failing. Keep it simple. 

2. Speak the Truth in Love - This applies to "I love you, and you really shouldn't be allowing XXX into your mind because it's bad for you" type of fraternal correction, but even more importantly for me it applies to what I let and lead others to think about me. I have a very difficult time speaking up for myself when someone is being really nice, but I don't actually like whatever it is I let them think I like, because I don't want to hurt them. We'll see how long it lasts. This Meyers-Briggs post says I don't have much chance. ISFJ...

3. Take Care of Me - Because I am useless to everyone, if I am not in good health. 
     A. Go To Bed Early (by 10 p.m.) - I've been wondering if something is wrong with me, but I've been struggling with tiredness for a while now, and being pregnant has completely drained me of what little energy I did have. Staying up to 11 or later and getting up at 7:30 is no longer feasible. 
     B. Don't Stress About Food/Eat - I've mentioned before, that my secret to skinniness is not eating, which I'm sure we can all agree isn't healthy. I've also mentioned before, how I've worried and stressed about eating all the right things during pregnancy, so I wouldn't get in trouble with the midwives for not gaining enough weight and stuff. But this time, I'm not letting it bother me. Yes, I'm going to aim for eating the right stuff in addition to eating more, but if I don't make it, I don't make it, and that's that. Stressing just makes me feel sick and as though there is no point. 
     C. Socialize - You know, actually make play dates so I can talk to grown up peoples. Maybe, if I'm bold enough, I'll invite people over to my house. Maybe. But I don't feel competent as a hostess, so we'll see. This will be a lot easier, with the addition of the minivan. 
     D. Spiritual Life - Keep praying the Rosary. I had started saying it while putting Juanito down for the night, and my patience has greatly increased. I neglect it for a few days, and I lose my temper. Thankfully, I can see actual changes in my day when I pray it (God must know I need a whole boatload of help right now), and that makes it easier to keep doing, and to decide to devote more time to devotionals. I'm on the last chapter of The Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen (started last Lent, thought I had finished it, but I hadn't), and this Lent I have Into Your Hands, Father by Wilfrid Stinissen, on the recommendation of Leila over at Little Catholic Bubble

4. Actively Find Ways to Grow as a Couple - My sister-in-law (Fit. Healthy. Whole.) suggested reading a book together, but giving yourselves the whole year to read it. I've settled on Beyond the Birds and the Bees by the Popcaks. I'm also working on small spiritual things to add to a currently non-existent routine, and any suggestions would be appreciated. 

5. Be Decisive and a Leader - In addition to my not wanting to hurt peoples feelings by saying I don't care for something, I also don't want to hurt people by doing things they don't want to do. I also really don't mind doing what other people want to do most of the time, so I manage to not really make any decisions whatsoever if I can help it. Of course, this isn't very practical when the other person also wants most to do what I want to do, and nothing actually gets decided. So I'm going to just decide to do what I want to do. Or decide on fun stuff to do on the weekends, since weekends are often a bit stale here. 

6. Get Rid of Useless Junk - Or stuff that doesn't get used. It's amazing how much better I feel when there isn't clutter anywhere. 

Well, I guess that's most of them. And quite a few, too, in reality. 

     Oh, and another insight I had, though it isn't going to end up as a resolution, but might be helpful for other at keeping theirs. The more you say "No" to yourself when you don't want to, the more you say "Yes" to things you don't really want to do but know you should, the more control you have over yourself. The more control you have over yourself, the less control anyone else can have over you. Pretty cool, huh? 

Comments