The Hardest Thing I Have Ever Done

          Nursing. Just because it's "natural" and "instinctual" doesn't mean it's easy. Because it really isn't. The most difficult thing I have done, up to date, is sticking with it. Yes, giving birth was hard, but there was no way around that. There are only so many ways to get a baby out, and all of them involve pain. But feeding a baby, now there's a different story. There are a few ways to go about it, some of which are completely painless. So you see, when faced with the choice of sticking with the miserableness that was nursing (for it certainly was unbearable at times) and the possibility of leaving that pain behind in favor of something else, it took pretty much everything in my willpower to forge ahead. I have never wanted to quit anything so badly in all of my life. But I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did; because it gets so much better, it really does. Now I can say I'm part of a not very large percentage of women who have nursed up to the 6 month mark and beyond. Hopefully we can join an even more elite group and reach the 12 month mark. Guess only time will tell. 

Comments

  1. Congrats on six months of self-sacrifice! By the time you reach 12 months it's really much easier than any of the alternatives. It's like, "Well, I *could* get up and make him some food, but it's so much easier to just latch him on and go on with my life." And you know they're getting everything they need without having to worry about food groups or fluid intake or any of that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment